The AFSCME Local 328 BridgeBuilders program is gearing up for its yearly mediation training. By choosing to volunteer as a BridgeBuilders mediator, you will learn how you can help fellow union members address interpersonal problems and conflicts without involving management. BridgeBuilders is offering a two-day training to become a mediator for the union. The training will be held on consecutive Fridays, June 14 and 21--both dates will be all-day training events.
BridgeBuilders mediation is different from other types of mediation in that the process is simpler, structured to be easily learned by those without prior mediation experience and tailored for use in workplace conflicts.
You will learn:
* How our mission coincides with many people's personal philosophy of wanting to do good for others
* How our mediation service works from start to finish -- accepting a case, contacting the parties, conducting the mediation and completing a post-mediation assessment
* How to recognize the deep-seated issues that trigger a conflict
* How to conduct a mediation session -- through group exercises, individual assignments and role-plays
* How to stay grounded as a mediator/facilitator when things get volatile during a mediation
We strongly believe that this program helps our members who have conflicts with each other. Equally, and this often surprises many, this program helps our volunteer mediators grow as individuals -- they take the skills and apply them outside the work environment because they feel strongly that grounded and measured intervention methods, like those used in mediation, create positive and transformative results.
Please make the commitment to become an AFSCME Local 328 BridgeBuilders mediator by emailing both Frank Vehafric (email@example.com) and Gianni Baratta (firstname.lastname@example.org).